We Are in Oceans
of Serious Trouble

While we are in the throes of packing around here, I urge parents to read the Los Angeles Times’ series on Earth’s Altered Oceans written by Kenneth R. Weiss. I suspect many will find the stories absolutely horrifying.

As parents, we face enough issues – financial, health, safety, housing and education – to worry about. But what if we navigate our children successfully into a doomed world? What if the oceans revert back to their ancient past, filled with primordial goo, toxin-producing algae and enormous schools of jellyfish? What if clear-blue waters and dolphins become a thing of the past?

Maybe you will feel this series is overwrought. Maybe it is; maybe it isn’t. Please read it and see what you think.

3 thoughts on “We Are in Oceans
of Serious Trouble

1. chip

No I don’t think it is. These are real and serious problems, and the current administration and its allies are, as always, muddying the waters trying to make things out to be not so bad. But there’ll come a tipping point when it’ll be too late to do anything, just like in global warming and other environmental issues.

2. brettdl

By the way, I know the primary author, and he is not prone to exaggeration. He is a very level-headed, even-keeled person.
    Our kids or grandkids may be forced inland because it will be too dangerous to live near the oceans. What a thought.

3. Phil

I haven’t read the articles yet, as we just now returned from a week-long trip to…. THE OCEAN!
    And what’s really freaky is that while we were on the Washington coast, we saw dozens of jellyfish washed up on the beach. Not to mention thousands of crab parts (eaten by seagulls, I guess). We didn’t swim in the water, but did play in the tidepools.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *