The last few days have been overloaded with parenting-related stories. Consider all that has been happening:
It’s been three years since a 9-year-old Chicago boy choked on a toy dart, but it took to Monday for the 1.8 millions sets to be recalled, reports the Chicago Tribune. Sadly, the CPSC knew the product was deadly 9 months before Kentrell Rodgers died in 2007, but the law at that time did not require a recall. The toys were sold at Family Dollar stores.
While headed out for some shopping, I noticed a young girl riding a motorized scooter WITHOUT A HELMET. I couldn’t help but wonder if her parents knew.
It seems the teenager is riding a growing trend of American parents buying street-legal scooters made in China, Taiwan and India, reports the Chicago Tribune.
The scooters, which can reach up to 70 mph, are not highway legal and get up to 100 miles per gallon. Costing less than $1,000, it’s no wonder they’re popular.
Forgotten by the owners are basics: helmets, training course and a proper license, reports the Tribune. About 5,290 people died from motorcycle crashes in 2008.
A few weeks ago, I noticed a bandage on the leg of a second grader at Lael’s School. The mom told me her daughter contracted a Methicillin-Resistant Staph Infection after it was treated at the hospital. A week later, the girl returned to the hospital to have the sore drained because the infection had worsened.
It finally cleared up, but clearly there is a worsening problem out there, reports The Associated Press via The Hartford Courant. In fact, the problem for kids has increased 10-fold in 10 years, according to a recent study.
About 30,000 children were hospitalized with MSRA infections during that period. Even more concerning: Infections are increasingly initiated OUTSIDE the medical system.
Although this has been reported before, The Consumer Product Safety Commission plans to ban drop-side cribs, reports The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
So far the cribs are responsible for 32 deaths, according to the CPSC. The problem?
In many models, the drop side can pull away from the rest of the crib. If a baby’s head gets caught in the gap between the side and the mattress, he can suffocate. If his head gets caught in the gap between the crib and the drop side, it can strangle him.
“Who would have thought a baby could die in a stroller or a crib,” Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum said during my visit to Consumer’s Union last week.
A recent study found a causal relationship between residual pesticides found in children’s urine and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, reports Reuters. Children with high levels of pesticide remnants were twice as likely to develop ADHD as children with undetectable levels.
When Seth first started preschool, some of the more aggressive children were pretty rough on my boy. I won’t get into the gory details, but I clearly remember that the wildest kids had been in day care almost from birth.
That proves nothing, but the long-running Early Child Care Research Network found that children who spent long hours in day care as preschoolers were more prone to take risks as teens than toddlers who spent more time at home, reports McClatchy Newspapers via The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. The report is bound to be controversial, but it is something to consider.